Wednesday 23 November 2011

A Gentleman's Guide on How To Score

You know, much as we all love the leaderboard and we think the Q-system of scoring is a great idea, I can’t help but notice that the gap between first and sixth is 84 points. That’s quite a gap to bridge. And even between me and Joe, there’s 31 points.

I was wondering about another leaderboard that doesn’t have these huge gaps, nor does it rely on the Points Ratio to even things up. Basically, it’s just a form table of the five most recent games each player has played with 1 point for first, 2 for second etc, This means that a poor showing one evening doesn’t effect you all season and you can work it off over time.

For those who haven’t played five games, the gaps are filled in with 5th positions, just to get them on the board, and also to tease them with the tantalizing offer of a sudden leap in places should they do well.

At first glance, I like this, just because it keeps everyone close together. Any thoughts?

The Form Table...
Points
Quentin111216
Adam3 3 21110
Sam2232110
Joe3223212
Andrew1333313
Jonny3245519
Dan3155519
Steve3255520
Andy2455521
Sally2555522

7 comments:

  1. Ingenius! So you'd never go higher than 25, and even a 4/4/2/3/3 would get you down to 16, which feels competitive. It recognises the ratio (the defining stat, for me) but keeps everyone in touching distance. I like it.

    What I dream of is all these tables running concurrently, like they do in your crazy brain... but if we have to choose one, this is very nice. I mean, we can add as many people as we like, even if they never come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you still add everything up over a 3-month period to define a 'season'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I like this too!! I could get in to this leaderboard thing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does mean that someone who didn't come would score better than someone who came and kept coming 6th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if you always come sixth, then you deserve to be last!

    I'd keep the three month "season" and maybe wheel out the leaderboard(s) at the end for everyone to look at. If we keep the form table going, we'd end up in a Sapphire And Steel-esque neverending loop of games, twisting into infinity...

    And we don't want that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mean, no, you're right. I think the breaking up into seasons is good, remember the heady days of early October before Quentin arrived with his serial victories?

    Great times.

    ReplyDelete