Saturday 25 February 2012

Four games in a day, and not a leaderboard in sight

I spent a tranquil afternoon as I played through a game of Troyes by myself, just to get an idea of how it works, with Final Score on the TV to keep me company. And, despite Garth Crooks' increasingly theatrical sighs of dismay at Newcastle vs. Wolves or whatever, I enjoyed my first walkthrough of this dice-based game (but in a good way) of disaster-management.

Soon after that I got a text from Sam about a impromptu games evening, and so before long I was sitting at his kitchen table, complete with red and white polka dotted tablecloth (not a patch on Joe's green felt, frankly) learning another new game.


We began with Portobello Market. In this, one has to build up market stalls along streets and then score them according to the customers (normal, aristocrats or the baron) with an option to score districts, too, which scores big but can reduce the number of actions you can do in future turns. In the first game, we were just warming up, unsure of any tactic.

Sam 195
Andrew 180

On the second go, we were a little more canny. We paid more attention to the position of the policeman (which lets you place market stalls) but it was still too early to fully compute the role of the baron, who appears automatically when the last customer is placed on the board. Is it worth leaving a space on the board where you are strongest, hoping that he'll drop into your lap on the last go? Or should you play safe, use an aristocrat and get the points early? Such is life for the Portobello market-stall holder circa 1901.

Sam 209
Andrew 200

After this, we decided to squeeze in one last game. Mord im Arosa. In this game, players have to solve a murder using only their sense of hearing. Cubes are dropped into a cardboard tower and by listening, each player has to guess where the murder took place. A wrong guess means the player has to add their own cubes to the murder scene, which increases the odds of them being unveiled as the murderer.

It's a silly game and a lot of fun. I turned out that I have quite the aptitude for this game, as my guesses regarding the location of Sam's suspicious cubes was unerringly accurate. The game ended with a large enough margin of victory for the heinous crime to be solved.

"Solid Alibi" Andrew 5
"Blood on his hands" Sam 14

Both games were a lot of fun, although would probably be more so with more players. Especially Portobello Market which has potential for quite a bit of Analysis Paralysis if four are playing, I think.

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed both Portobello Market and Mord im Arosa - the latter my birthday present from Joe. Both are quick - Mord im Arosa espcially so - and easy to pick up. I don't think it's quite up there with Tinner's Trail but for it's accessibility, duration and pleasing aesthetics I think Portobello may be a regular visitor to "the table"; though you may be right about AP Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...played Mord im Arosa with Sally tonight, who liked it despite alleging that 'there's too much repetition of 'sloppy investigation' in this game. She did beat me though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. Did we ever create a list of games to "Tempt the reluctant partner into playing"?

    Jacquie is about a reluctant as you can get, although plays a mean game of scrabble doesn't like anything too abstract or has too many rules. She quite enjoyed TTR though but would never sit down and say "You know what? Lets break out the train game."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine would be a very short list. I was convinced Mr Jack would work, given how quickly Bea and Matilda took to it, but it fell flatter than most other games. Charlotte found it totally confusing — in retrospect I think I should have made her Mr Jack rather than the Investigator, but there's no way I'll get the chance to try that out.
    Haggis, on the other hand, was a hit! Though only for one evening, she hasn't wanted to play it since.
    Same with Dominion.
    The real crash and burns have been Caylus, Race for the Galaxy, Tinners Trail. Okay okay, no surprises there.
    I'm currently wondering if she might enjoy Lords of Vegas . . .

    On the other hand, Bea and Matilda are very into Dominion at the moment, which is fun (though I'm playing with 8 each of the VP cards, rather than the 12 suggested in the rules, to stop games running over an hour!)

    And all of us, Charlotte, Martha, Bea and Matilda, played Igloo Pop twice last night. Think I came fifth both times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally has actually played quite a few over the years; (note the expansive time-frame) - Settlers, Carcassone, El Grande, Agricola, Ticket to Ride, Alhambra, Haggis, Robo-Rally, Trans America, Serinissima, Galaxy Truckers, Hey that's my Fish, Ponte di Diavolo and Poison to name, I think, most of them. She liked Haggis too - aside from Robo Rally, I think she enjoyed all of them to some degree, but never enough to be an instigator.

    I can vouch for Jacquie's Scrabble abilities too. I can't believe you tried to get Charlotte to play Caylus, Joe. Was the idea that afterwards anything you played would seem eminently accessible?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great work Sam. I would never have got Jacquie to play three quarter of that lot...! I think Dixit would go down well if I could get the right crowd in and I think she would enjoy Tsuro as it's light and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes, Sal has played Tsuro too. She likes that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No it was because I hadn't played it either! I took it on holiday to Ireland, and we tried to learn it together.
    Okay I tried to force Charlotte to learn it with me. If I knew then what I know now . . . untold damage was done that evening. It's why I now always learn the rules up front — the secret history of how I became The Explainer . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought you were The Knowledge? But then, knowledge comes in many forms I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Portobello Market has found a good home :-D It didn't receive much gameplay in our group, which is shame as I really enjoyed it.

    Our group are quite AP prone (often doubling quoted game times), but we managed to play this as a 3 or 4 player in about an hour. The 4 player scales down to a similar play time as you have less stalls to place.

    Glad you guys are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Puncr0c. I think it will certainly get more play than any of my trades did.

    ReplyDelete