Friday 17 February 2012

Still in the Dark...

On Thursday night I found myself at Chris' house, breaking the journey on an early start in London the next day. As we're both grown-ups we spent at least 8 or 9 minutes catching up before breaking out a nice two-player, Mr Jack.

This Jack-the-Ripper themed filler (filler in the sense of duration rather than frippery) was a big hit with us at StabCon as the ease of learning/substantial depth/clandestine nature combination seemed to stack up into a hit, a palpable hit. The game is usually fairly short and as I was yawning already (it was 10pm) we agreed to a couple of games, so each of us could have a turn being Mr Jack, and a turn catching him. Thematically that's about as chillingly hedonistic as you can get.

I was Mr Jack first and I was stumped from the first turn, when - Chris having taken one of the four available cards - I was left with two that it made sense to take together, and the third being (unbeknownst to Chris) Mr Jack - in his day job as Dr Watson. I'm not sure why I couldn't see a way out of this initial predicament, but I never recovered my sense of evil cunning, and Chris closed in for a third round arrest.

Swapping roles for the second game I felt the tension lift slightly - it's still a game that requires a lot of concentration, but it feels marginally less stressful as the detective. However, having made 99% certain that I knew who Mr Jack was (or Ms, in this case, as Mr Jack was spending his days in drag as Ms Stealthy) I paranoically hung back, obsessing over that 1%, and made the novice policeman's mistake of leaving your prime suspect over an open manhole at night-time. Sure enough, Mr Jack - or whatever her name was - made his escape, and Chris picked up another win.

After my 4-game salvo at StabCon I was disappointed to be twice turned over, but I was reminded what a brilliant two-player this is - like chess, as Chris' friend James pointed out, it has few rules but immense depth in terms of the possibilities (for error!) in each round.

I wonder if we could come up with a four-player variant...

1 comment:

  1. It's a top game that has you in agony of indecision. Both Sam and I had situations where immediately after making our move we saw the error of our ways. We had to use every ounce of restraint not to ask to do the move again. (Actually I think I did once but I hadn't let go of my piece yet).

    As Mr Jack I thought I had missed my chance of escaping due to me not remembering you've got to BE IN THE DARK!

    ReplyDelete