Friday 30 March 2012

All the News You Didn't Know You Didn't Need

Work has been a little slack recently so between filling out applications and cursing perfectly innocent (but employed) third parties, I’ve had time to go back through the blog and assemble a comprehensive list of placings, from the very first GNN on the blog to this week's shenanigans - and here they are, broken up into seasons and unhelpfully resized by Blogger:








If we look at who has won the most games, it’s as follows:

Adam 50
Sam 46
Joe 31
Andrew 16
Quentin 15
Hannah 8
Steve 7
Jonny 4

- No-one else has really played enough to come under scrutiny.

No great surprises there. Obviously though, Adam has played a lot more games than Jonny, Hannah and Steve have, so how does the overall ratio look, in terms of wins to games played? That might be a little more reflective of overall performance:

PlayerGamesWinsWin Ratio %
Adam1295038.8
Quentin441534.1
Sam1434632.2
Hannah30826.7
Joe1243125
Steve34720.6
Jonny30413.3
Andrew1531610.5


Although Adam remains convincingly top, Quentin leapfrogs over me into second, and Hannah jumps over Andrew and Joe into fourth. Andrew drops like a tub of Neopolitan ice cream from a hot-air balloon to bottom, despite impressive wins in the likes of Serenissima and Taj Mahal.

But how to measure one victory against another? In the above table, a win in Poison counts the same as a win in Agricola or Caylus. To paraphrase Ann Robinson, who is this lazily generic summary doing a disservice to?

I went through the individual games and removed victories gained in the short-ish, filler games (Bacchus Banquet, Tsuro, Poison, Pitch Cars, No Thanks, Ave Caesar, Dancing Dice, 6nimmt, High Society, For Sale, Mord Im Arosa) and a couple of the longer games that seem to rely heavily on luck rather than strategy (Robo Rally, I’m the Boss, Roll Through the Ages, Innovations). I left in Citadels, Condottierre, Thunderstone, Blockers, Hey That's My Fish, and Trans America/Europa. Kind of arbitrary, but then I’m the one sitting here wasting my life away, so those are the perks. The results:


PlayerGamesWinsWin Ratio %
Adam973334
Quentin301033.3
Sam1052826.7
Joe902325.6
Hannah22625
Steve25624
Jonny27414.8
Andrew113119.7

(Corrected from last week, when I had only subtracted wins from overall total instead of all-filler-games played) Congratulations to Joe, Steve and Jonny, who all improve their ratio. Quentin's ratio holds steady though, and and it's still very congested in the middle of the table. Mine is the worst affected, as clearly racking up wins in the likes of Poison had given me a false position.

It’s not good reading for Andrew, lodged convincingly at the bottom. But wait a minute – it’s not all about winning, is it? What about coming consistently high-placed, but forever just missing out on first? I’ve broken down the placings into a visual chart-type-thing to show the percentage ratio of final positions for each player, and they make interesting reading (click to view):




Obviously Adam looks the most impressive here, with a lovely 1-2-3 spread and then hardly any finishes outside the top four (bear in mind a few of these games will have only had 3 players, occasionally 2) but Andrew’s healthy spread of second and third placings put his relative lack of victories into perspective. Quentin also looks formidable in this light, but can he do it over 150 games? Over to you Quent!

10 comments:

  1. Hmm, formatting has gone nuts. I will try and amend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think if we did one big spreadsheet with all the scores and variables for length, margin of victory etc, it'd be so complicated that it would become sentinent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I kind of think of us all as the manifestation of one already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 111100000101010001100010110100101100101!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe that for a minute

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's first words will be ' pass the pringles..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. More funny similes please! I'm glad I haven't played enough games. I'm pretty sure I would be propping up the tables..... Like a.....like a Um....solid kitten turd.

    I think I'll leave them to Sam...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have actually made a mistake calculating the weightier-games table. Will amend Monday.

    I'll try and break up the full-colour since-records-began table into four and get them on here too.

    Chris, I was merely paying tribute to Andrews dead cow/helicopter combo. We should make it a meme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. (I'll leave it to someone else to point out how most of the games I won didn't have Adam in them...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. See how the list of games per season grows!

    ReplyDelete