Monday 19 March 2012

The Tower of Murder

Monday rolled around, I decided to skip life drawing this week, and so Sam and I sent out a (fairly optimistic) call for attendees at an unofficial Games Night. No one else could make it, so it was just the two of us this evening.

First, as a little warm-up appetiser introduction, we chose Mord im Arosa, the detective game with sounds for clues. As a two-player game, it plays pretty quickly, so we able to fit three in before the main course feature main event of the night. On the first go, Sam was a comfortable winner, thanks to finding four of my clues on the ground floor. Second time around I ran out a clear winner thanks to Sam's obsession with floor six which, no matter how often he checked, was always clear of any cubes at all.

For the third and deciding game, it was a Titanic battle with accusations flying back and forth, and the occasional bit of subtly removing our own clues. In the end, we were both poised on equal points and nine cubes each when Sam found some clues of mine on a floor entirely unrelated to the crime. It seems that that's enough to send you down in this kangaroo court, so Sam ended as the winner.

We had discussed the Gates of Loyang as a potential option for the main game, but in the end, decided on the warm comfy presence of Stone Age. We'd played only recently, and Sam had been a narrow winner. This time he tried to bluff me by saying he'd go for hut multipliers. Well, that's my territory and so, like a dog in the yard straining on an old bit of rope barking at people who were only walking past anyway, I was quick to pay over the odds for an early hut x3 multiplier. Ha!

The game was notable for a complete lack of civilisation cards in the first part of the game, followed by a surplus of them in the second part. Sam built up an army of meeples and had the farms to feed them, while I had my huts and my axes. In the end, it was down to the civilisation cards, and I had eight compared to Sam's seven (the last one was the only unused card at the end of the game) which just nudged me in front.

Andrew 280
Sam 272

A pleasant evening and a useful warm up to tomorrow's meeting, when Adam returns to the fray.

No comments:

Post a Comment