Wednesday 16 May 2012

Bracknell's new recruit

Bracknell's roving reporter reports...

Wow!

Last week went by in a blur. So much so I didn't have hardly any time to do anything let alone write up the games played, which was a shame because Cargo! was tabled for a second time. With rules refined and money/credits now printed out via the colour printer I gave Paul the game is starting to take shape. Depots are reduced to just the players home areas and now it costs to place containers into your opponents spaces and to take containers out. After my defeat last time I decided to beef up on lorries to maximise my route potential. This tactic and a few fortuitous card draws brought off my first win!

We also played 2 games of Roll Through the Ages and a quick game of Mummut all won be me but the real amazing moment of the week came today on my non game week. Driving back from Peppa Pig world with the family my wife Jacquie (confirmed board game disliker), announced that she quite fancied playing a board game this evening. After successfully not crashing into the central barrier I realised that this was probably one of those things people say on a whim like "I think I shall take up archery", and then as quickly as it popped in to their head it vanishes. However, after the bed time routine had come and gone and we had watched another episode of Breaking Bad, the question of a game came up again. I was concerned. This was an opportunity not to waste. Pick a game too nerdy and I could kiss any further requests goodbye. I chose Roll Through the ages as it is quick to learn and has a play time of around 30 minutes.

In a scene redolent of Blackadder teaching Baldrick advanced mathematics, statements such as "No look, it's quite simple" and "OK, don't worry about that" were aired numerous times and at one point the game was completely packed away, only to be unpacked again after brief discussion.

With Jacquie wearing a face like one reacting to the cat litter tray in the morning we proceeded. 20 minutes later Jacquie had proceeded to beat me by 15 points...I mean how does that even happen?

I got my revenge in the rematch but here's hoping to maybe another session one day...

4 comments:

  1. I hope her victory convinced her she has an innate skill at board games, and that she'll continue her new hobby.

    It's a lot cheaper than archery, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something in the water at Peppa Pig world. The day we went, I came downstairs after putting the kids to bed to find Sally had set up Tigris and Euphrates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure I could get away with suggesting a trip to Peppa Pig World now that my youngest is 8 . . .
    Worth a try though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping Alhambra won't be too much of a stretch..... T&E..... maybe in a different dimension.

    ReplyDelete