Tuesday 28 August 2012

Paul makes his Point


Before the main meal of the evening in the form of Nexus Ops a few small game nibbles were partaken. Hey That's My Fish is becoming a firm favourite with us for its simple play and set up, and surprising depth for game that only cost me a tenner. After two quick games I had collected a victory in each but by only one point in the second game. After musing what the game would be like with two sets mixed in and 8 people playing (Septcon anyone?) we moved onto a new game Nile. 

Nile is a card game of fairly simple mechanics where you take on the mantle of an ancient farmer along the flood plains of the Nile. Your task is to plant crops and harvest them if you are lucky enough each turn. It has the feel of lots of other games merged into one. It plays very fast once you have the turn sequence down and there is a nice amount of stitching up that you can do. The scoring borrows from Euphrat and Tigris where you score your weakest crops first.

In the two games we played Paul won one 5 - 1 and I tipped my game 2 - 1.

So to Nexus. Paul got to take the sometimes powerful first turn and right from the off he was marching across the board spoiling for a fight like I had called his beer a shandy. Probably coming off better in regard to revealing bonus tiles, Paul's massing ranks were making headway into my controlled areas. In a futile attempt to stem the flow I tried to get in behind his defences only to see my away party squashed lazily like a dopey fly. Despite all that I still was managing to keep in touching distance. In a last ditch attempt at victory I went for all out attack taking on a series of soft targets to gain victory points to take my total to 12 (The winning amount). It all came down to one last roll. My warrior only needed to roll 2 or over on the D6. It came up a 1. The next round Paul's onslaught returned my posterior to me with and with it my crushed hopes and dreams…...

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to try Nexus Ops at SeptCon... combat is not really my thing but the news filtering through from Bracknell makes me feel like I'm in the war room, itching for the front.

    ReplyDelete