Thursday 2 August 2012

Paul the Variant King! (All hail)


After the fairly 'strategy linear' games of Hey Thats My Fish and Ticket to Ride were played the more variable Nexus Ops was brought out for a second week. Feeling like there was some unfinished business due to our truncated game last time we set up the board in good time for a probable finish. We decided to add in the option of different resources and Paul made the early running by winning the toss. Going first has an advantage but this is offset by the player going second getting more rubium (Money). With subsequent turns Paul's army of alien 'things' encroached on my side of the board taking up strong positions. A kind of western front developed where my quickly amassing 'things' made a stand.

Then the dice rolling might of Jefferies began to whittle down my lovely troops with him picking up victory points willy nilly. Even my counter attack down the left hand side could do nothing to stem the tide of attacks although, my VP count rose to threaten Paul's total. Then, the Jefferies tactical variant mind kicked in. Using the entire wedge of Rubium he had accumulated to purchase an army of miners and then in conjunction with two energise cards, he air dropped his shock troops right behind my lines. I was Banjaxed.

Although in a dominant position the score was only 12 - 11 to Paul. For the record I won the first two games so: ner. 

(Which is a direct quote from Hitler)

1 comment:

  1. It's GNN's best kept secret that Paul plays a mean banjax.

    ReplyDelete