Thursday 11 October 2012

Thursday is the new Tuesday

A rainy Thursday evening is not enough to dampen the spirits of two losers in Poker and so Sam and I returned to the games cupboard (a metaphorical cupboard, since we were at my place) for a pick-me-up before the weekend.

First we played Tsuro, but Sam hadn't brought it with him. How is this possible, you may ask? Were we now so familiar that we were able to play it in our heads? No. I'd spent the afternoon making my own version of the game since it seems like forever before Tsuro of the Sea is going to come out. It's not as pretty as the official version, and the pieces are dice not dragons, but the gameplay is intact. And it's still brown.


We played out a tense game and in the end, it was a case of who could last the longest as our respective corners of the board grew smaller. I stayed on just long enough to register the first win on my own board.

Then we chose Lords of Waterdeep as the main course of the evening. A main course which, it must be said, we wolfed down in double quick speed. Since we were familiar with the rules, there was no delay in setting up and getting stuck in. We initially agreed to ignore Mandatory Quests for a less shitty game, but as it happened, none came out.

Sam built buildings and I quested. Sam used the Ambassador and I was able to use one already-occupied building. But the turning point was at the end of round seven when through judicious use of the tavern, I ended the round with four turns in a row. Enough to complete a quest and set me up for the next.

When all was finished and the scores counted, it couldn't have been closer:

Andrew 178
Sam 177

Then we played Biblios! Tonight's pudding is another favourite, and we played the game in thoughtful silence. Sam's win on three dice just beating my two.

Sam 8
Andrew 7

And he disappeared back into the rain and the dark evening streets. Three games done and dusted before nine o'clock. I think we're getting the hang of this gaming lark.

3 comments:

  1. I think you mean judicious use of the harbour Andrew? That much time at the taverns wouldn't be productive.

    It was a cracking game of LoW if I do say so myself. We alternated leading the points track almost every time we finished a mission. I love this game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the harbour. I imagine it as a tavern because my agents go there, do a bit of intrigue and then they all pile out at closing time.

    But it was a real ding-dong battle. Never mind taking the occasional photo, we should've videoed the whole thing! GNNTV, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an idea. Fast-paced intrigue on the board, player interviews and profiles. Maybe a presenter. What's Nick Owen doing these days?

    ReplyDelete