Friday 30 November 2012

Rooms for Manoeuvre


Back in the eighties raves were convened at short notice, and attendees would have to jump through a series of logistical hoops - picking up signals, signs and prompts - to get their fix of tabs, dancing, and seeing deities in a field. So it was again last night, as Joe, Andrew and I plumped for a little gaming session late in the day. 

First, I had to get the kids to sleep, so after a couple stories and some singing I was scraping the ice off the car, headed to Andrew's via the shop for a bottle of pale ale (see: tabs). Once there we played a quick game of Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, shovelling crisps into our mouths and waving our hands in the air. We both left it a little late picking up animals, as though we didn't want their faeces and hoofprints muddying up the place. After a last minute rush on sheep, I triumphed due to my magnificent collection of horses (5) and timber-built cottage:

Sam 26
Andrew 11

we parked the XR3 in a lay-by and jumped the fence

Just as we were counting up, the call came in. Joe's table had been cleared of condiments and he was good to go. We were in the car moments later, checking the rear view mirror for the bizzies and listening to 808 State. 

Joe had pulled the oldest trick in the book: he'd got a game out of the box already, so our dreams of High Frontier were checked at the door. The game in question was Africana, and as players we took on the role of colonialists pillaging the continent in question during the 1800s. It was a little bit Ticket to Ride-with-imperialism, as we set off on adventures (by placing our pieces on the correct starting point on the map) and completed them by being the first one to arrive at the end point. If that sounds overly competitive, well, there are several adventures at any one point so you can get yourself on more than one to weight the odds in your favour - something Joe seemed very adept at, as he led the early running.

You can also collect pages from a book that reward you for a single destination (ie the starting point is immaterial) and during the game your options are one from picking up cards, travel (using cards), or buy a page from the book. Joining an adventure doesn't take an action, you just have to be in right place on the board. 

this is what Toto were actually singing about

It's nice to look at, and reasonably quick to pick up. It's also hard to judge who's winning - both Andrew and I assumed from an early stage that Joe was walking away with it, but our late surges saw us both overtake him, with me grabbing a narrow victory:

Sam 53
Andrew 45
Joe 44

There was time for a short game, and with zero debate we chose Biblios, a game we've played a lot of recently without tiring of it. This one felt a canny affair, and I certainly had the perception halfway through the game that I had far too much gold in my hand and not enough colours. But Joe didn't have enough gold, and sacrificed his green cards to pick some up - I'm not sure what happened to Andrew...

Sam 8
Joe 6
Andrew 0

And with that, we called it a night, wending our way to Micheldever services for a carton of orange juice and a blueberry muffin.*

* at this point I should probably confess - in case you haven't guessed - I never went to a rave, and my dancing is a bit like this.

11 comments:

  1. Sweet fancy Moses . . .
    Success at Biblios eludes me yet again - even if Andrew had picked up the green it was only worth 2 I think, so Sam would still have won on the browns . . .
    And in Africana I fell foul of the rule-teacher's curse, at least that's my story. Interesting playing a game with grown-ups that I've only previously played with Matilda - our games have tended to be a bit like travelling the continent in a comfortable 4x4, taking in the fabulous sunsets, the sound of zebras braying - oh look, I picked up this mask in Addis Ababa.
    Last night was more of the "we've got to loot the entire continent before our colonialist rivals could get a look in" type vibe.

    Just to clarify, Sam - the cards that you pick up from the book are adventures - the ones along the bottom, which you pick up at a location and complete by going to the destination are expeditions which you join. I'm just saying, in case Michael Schacht is reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I couldn't remember any terminology at all and was kinda guessing. In fact I almost set the whole thing in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Africana. I think they could have pushed the theme a bit further, perhaps with a little bit of text on each card to describe each adventure/expedition, like they have in Garibaldi or Lords Of Waterdeep. "Placate the Grumpy Boers in Port Natal." That kind of thing.

    Mmm, Biblios. Never got started on that game, even with Sam's winning strategy ("get dice") in mind, it didn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really couldn't make it any clearer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you really did leave it late for getting animals! James and I played on Monday and looking at our respective boards it was difficult to see where we could put extra animals. We play the rule where an extra animal of each type in the brackets gets added every round. Therefore the some of the livestock areas can have a bunch of animals on them. Therefore we ended up with scores of 56 each. I won due to going first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that the offical rule? We weren't doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would explain our low scores...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is the official rule as far as geek community say, and it's how I interpreted it.

    Thats why they are in brackets I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. But how could we forget Joe's electronic card shuffler. Very loud and quite alarming (it sounds as if it's eating the cards rather than shuffling) but it does the job and is quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness yes. I'm going to make a new label...

    ReplyDelete