Thursday 17 January 2013

Stone Age Pensioners

A hopeful text is sent out
Through the threat of snow
We played Stone Age at Sam's house

Nothing says Games Night like a bad Haiku. Sam I and met up for an evening of board games. I was given the choice of game, and ever since someone mentioned it on Tuesday, I've had a hankering for another game of Stone Age. Even if we've played it so often that I've run out of puns for blog titles (see above).


It had been a while, but there was no issue with rule remembrance. We got right into the stride, and AP set in almost on the first round. Sam went for axes instead of his more usual fields tactic. I made a fatal mistake: I diversified. Jack of all Trades and master of none, and that's not good enough when it came to multipliers.

Sam cashed in on his large family and axes, while I rued my inability at ending the game earlier and maximising my chances with my extensive collection of knick-knacks.

Sam 285
Andrew 254

After this we dug out Artus, in which Knights of the Round Table discard any sense of chivalry and shamelessly scramble for the best seats at the table. However, we needed a rule refresh and I missed an important rule regarding scoring every time you move a knight. Instead, we only scored when a scoring card was played. Instead of starting again, we carried on, because it was still quite a fun game. Our truncated non-leaderboard scores were

Sam 67
Andrew 24

6 comments:

  1. Ah, Stone Age. I can almost say it with the same air of contented fatalism as Biblios... Artus, on the other hand, is quite the puzzler. It is fun. And tremendously silly. And even sillier with more players - with two you can manage your cards a little, whereas with 4 it's a bit of a lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I love Stone Age. Well done. Haven't played Artus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, my poem isn't a haiku at all. It should be 5-7-5 syllables, not 7-5-7.

    I shall stick to limericks in future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There once was a man who wrote haikus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why don't limericks ever start "once there was a man..."?

    ReplyDelete