Saturday 26 January 2013

Will Wonders never cease?

Sam spent Saturday evening babysitting, so he sent out the clarion call across Bristol to all GNN regulars to join him in a game. Only I have nothing to do on a Saturday, so we found ourselves with a kitchen table all to ourselves and a hankering for something new.

Hacienda was the choice for tonight. In this, the players are Argentinian land developers (the game had a nicer word for them, but I forget what it was). Although both Sam and I agreed that the theme is very much tagged on as an afterthought. Certainly, we couldn't imagine Phil "Pax Porfiriana" Eklund enjoying this game much. "I can just claim land? No paperwork or anything?"


The game is a very simple game of claiming territories, with a few extra bonuses thrown in for good measure. Having a chain of a particular type of animal or land, or lakeside views, or being near a market all score points. It's quite a thin idea for a game, but perhaps it's more interesting with more players playing a more aggressive strategy.

As it was, Sam began in the corner, while I was more central. This turned out to be a good move, since Sam was unable to block my progress toward markets, with my ever-increasing herd of cattle. It was to prove decisive.

Andrew 89
Sam 50

However, a look on Boardgamegeek tells us how badly we'd both been playing, as one person put up a report of 181-138.

After that underwhelment, we needed something familiar to round of the evening. And so it was that 7 Wonders was brought down from the high shelf. We began and, just like Hacienda, Sam got off to a poor start. We both did, since a lack of brick ended our dreams of building anything remotely like a wonder. Meanwhile, Dirk seemed to be doing very well for himself.

In fact, as we totted up the scores, Dirk was in the lead after the first three rounds, Dirk 23, me –1, Sam 8 but Sam had his blue cards and I had my sciences. However, I was undone by my pacifism as Sam surprised himself by just pipping me to the post, despite having build none of his wonder at all.

Sam 48
Andrew 46
Dirk 35

What a great game, and a great evening to round off the week. After all, it's a long time until Thursday...

6 comments:

  1. You left out the eighth wonder of Elk-Fest!

    Yes I'm not sure Hacienda will see a lot of the table, with it's Arkadiaesque appearance and frankly bizarre mechanics. That said, Andrew totally outplayed me, so maybe that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mechanisms aren't bizarre actually, as Andrew pointed out the theme is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, my first go at Elk Fest. In a best of three, I won my first game but found that Elks are unruly beasts and in the end lost 2-1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it called baby sitting when it's your own children? I don't know and I've often said that.....

    I forgot to post that James and I had a game of Carcasonne on Monday night. It took all evening as we were chatting the way through it. I won 120 to 58 which was a fairly big score for me. I kept getting the cloisters and advantageous places to stick them, which was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I was watching an episode of Big Bang Theory last night and they were all playing Ticket to Ride. Only they were all holding ticket cards and carriage cards all in the same hand. Totally ruined the scene for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't call it babysitting myself. I think it's all relative... no pun intended.

    Big Bang Theory indeed.

    ReplyDelete