Wednesday 3 April 2013

I'm Spartacus, but I kind of wish I wasn't

Seven players were expected tonight at Steve and Anja's. We were a bit worried about the correct etiquette in the event of Anja going into labour (we finish the game without her and it's still leaderboard, right?). But she assured us that the little one wouldn't dream of coming out on a games night.

While we waited for Hannah and Adam to arrive, we banished Anja to the upper room so she could finish reading the rules to Spartacus without any distractions, and me, Joe, Sam and Steve sat down for a game of Love Letters. We only played one round, and Steve won. Hannah arrived mid game, so we stopped, ate some sweets (including meeple-shaped flapjacks courtesy of Hannah) and discussed what we should play.

Spartacus was already on one table, but what about the other? Joe had brought Bora Bora, the new epic from Stefan Feld. After some umming and ahhing, and perhaps persuaded by the pretty lady drawn on the inside of the box, they chose it over the other offers.

Steve, Anja and I went through the rules of Spartacus, the game of blood and treachery. Since I'd never seen the TV series, I didn't recognise any of the people on the cards, but it wasn't important. What was important was the bidding, the bribing, the battling. All of which was mostly lacking in the first round, as none of us really knew what was going on. In the first gladiatorial contest, Steve ran away from a fight, only to find that there are no hiding places in an arena.


But fighting isn't the only way to win at this game. You can host games or discard cards for influence. The blood part relies on dice-rolling, with a few cards that can help you re-roll, while the treachery part reminded me a lot of I'm The Boss, in that one person tries an action (with a card) and another player can block it (with another card, sometimes needing a dice roll, other times not) and there was no way of responding to that.

I found it all a bit soulless. Relying on dice, or the right cards just didn't seem to be much fun or need much skill. I also found it very slow. We thought at the time it was just because it was our first go, but I looked on Boardgamegeek and the recommended game time is two and a half hours. There were some laughs along the way but, again, mostly prompted by a result of a dice roll.

It ended on an anti-climax, too. Steve and I were poised to battle our two finest gladiators, with Steve destined to hit the maximum twelve points if he won, Anja stepped in with a card that rigged the game, allowing her to change Steve's gladiator for a slave. In the event, Spartacus won easily, meaning Anja won the game with her twelve points. Steve then read the rules and found to his dismay that he could've won the game earlier in the round.

Anja 12
Steve 11
Andrew 10

Meanwhile, on the big table, Sam, Joe, Adam and Hannah played Bora Bora. It looked baffling, but it had fishing in it, so I felt like I'd missed out. I shall leave it to the others to explain the game, except to say that Sam admitted his win felt like a fluke.

Sam 139
Joe 138
Adam 128
Hannah 122


Two epic games, stretching the length of the evening. What an experience. All that remains is to mention the scores of the game on Steve's birthday when the Easton group played Snowdonia. Happy birthday, Steve!

Steve 110
Hannah 89
Anja 79
Adam 66










Points
Steve2155518
Anja1355519
Sam1 5 5 55 21
Hannah4255521
Joe2 5 5 55 22
Adam345 5 522
Andrew3 5 5 5523

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, since it was Steve's birthday, and since he and Anja won't get many games this season, I thought it we could make an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I see, the mere fact of the day of Steve's birth and a new life entering the world breaks the leaderboard does it? Rules are rules, guys!

    OK, ok, I did say I was being tight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha!

    Yeah, Bora Bora is a whole lot of things to think about. I think Adam comparing it unfavourably to Brass was quite apposite; they are similar in complexity, but with Brass you watch your empire spread and grow, and interact with all the other players in various ways. At the end of a game of Brass you really have accomplished something tangible; with Bora Bora there's simply a score to be totted up, and the main thing you're fighting is the static in your head, trying to stay focussed and work out what you need to do to eek ahead.

    That said, I did enjoy it, and I think were we to play it again it would all feel a bit more straight-forward. But we'd probably rather play Brass, given the time and a hankering for something heavy-ish. I can't see the play time coming down massively.

    It's kind of 'essence of Feld' - or 'stench of Feld' as Sam put it in one of the early rounds.

    Not nearly as rambling as De Vulgari Eloquentia, as Andrew inquired, but not nearly as thematic, either.

    On the subject of which - my moment in the sun has arrived. My player aid for DVE has garnered quite a rep on the geek, and I get props in this video review, at around the 2.50 mark. Even Charlotte was, I think, secretly proud . . .

    De Vulgari Eloquentia

    Thanks Anja and Steve, for hosting a couple of epics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We truly walk among the Geek Gods! May I call you Joe, Mr Burgher?

    Don't kid yourself Charlotte was proud though. I reckon that look was something else entirely...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe, you mended a game! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Kind of wish I hadn't traded it away - perhaps Z-Man will send me a copy in exchange for including the player aid in the box!?

    ReplyDelete