Wednesday 24 July 2013

Critical Mass

Tomorrow I'm off to France for a couple of weeks, and Henry and I are planning many a game session, but I'm under strict instructions not to fill the car with games. "Why don't you just pick one game, and really get stuck in to it", says Charlotte.

And I agree with the sentiment. But that one game would have to be a long and complex one to warrant such attention, and there are bound to be lots of times when what is called for is a shorter, lighter game.
What I wouldn't be able to bear is the feeling that I know just the game we should be playing right now, only to realise that it's sitting at home on the shelf.

But she's right, I can't take them all. Enter the magical shoebox . . .


I decided to decant a few games in to this sturdy shoebox, since as we all know, modern board game boxes pack far more atmosphere than is generally needed for play - in case you lose some, presumably. But this box seems to have magical properties - it's like the Tardis! 
Believe it or not, it's holding:
6 Nimmt
Chronicle
Coup
Hanabi
Love Letter
Tichu

All small card games, I hear you cry. But wait, there's more - it also contains . . .

7 Wonders
Panic on Wall Street (inc. egg timer and pens)
Saint Malo (plus more pens!)
Targi
Race for the Galaxy
Resistance
and Vegas!!!

And there's still the odd pocket of air in there, I reckon I could squeeze Pickomino in . . .


I am taking a few big box games too: Through the Ages, Steam, Warriors of God, Taluva and Hammer of the Scots, plus a few small faves: Modern Art, Incan Gold, Magical Athlete and Lord of the Rings: Confrontation. But even so, it feels spartan! I'll let you all know how I get on. Have a good couple of week all - I will be checking the blog, and I might even be able to post. JB

4 comments:

  1. If you have Vegas, then you have eight dice so you can play Decathlon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, I had the same thought! If only Das Exclusive could fit in too. I wonder if I could market a travel box for games, with a felt-lined lid for use as a dice arena!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How big are the shoes?

    I'm off to Cornwall tomorrow, and have bought some thigh-high fishing wellies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that as thigh-high fisting wellies, ew! Sorry.
    Did they come in a box? You could probably get Railwsys of the World in there!
    Have a good trip!!

    ReplyDelete