Thursday 25 July 2013

Pre-holiday fun

The day before Sam heads off to lovely Cornwall with the clan, he and I met up at my place for a little two-player gaming. He brought the games and some milk. I pushed my cardboard boxes further into the corners of the room and made the place presentable.

Sitting at the bottom of Sam’s games was Lords Of Waterdeep. I’m always keen to get this onto the table, if only to enjoy the economic ergonomics of the box design. Having set it up, we got stuck in, running through the streets of Skullport, recruiting rogues, wizards, whoever we could get our hands on, really.

I noticed a lack of buildings being built and, for me at least, a lack of money. Sam built up on plot quests early, giving him a series of bonuses so complicated he should’ve written a flowchart. During the game itself, I kept pace quite easily, but when it came to the Lord bonuses I saw Sam shoot off into the distance.

Sam 211
Andrew 172

After this, we pondered on our next choice. Sam had brought Trans America with him and, since it had been a while, we decided to give it a go. Sam has said before that he doesn’t do well at this game, but tonight must’ve been an all time low. Call it fate, call it karma, call it civil engineering, but I polished off my network first each time, leaving Sam one or two cities behind.

Andrew 0
Sam 15

Sam cursed Trans America for being too luck-based, even though only half an hour earlier he’d tried to downplay his win on LoW by saying there was a lot of luck involved. And with that, the evening ended, and Sam will head of to the south-west for the next week or so. No Sam, no Joe. If it’s just me and Adam at the next games night, I’ll be impressed if I manage second!

No comments:

Post a Comment