Thursday 29 August 2013

Railways of the Seven Wonders of the World

A hastily convened evening at Sam's featured Andrew and myself and commenced with Seven Wonders.

I battled both a plate of chips and handful of cards early on, while Andrew battled everyone and Sam tried not to pick up the wrong set of cards.

In the final analysis Sam just shaded the military and blue points cards, Andrew won on the wonder and money and my late surge into green science cards gave me hope and in the end it was as close as its possible to be:

1st: Andrew 50
=2nd: Adam 49
=2nd: Sam 49

After that we felt like a more meaty main course and Railways of Mexico was unpacked, Sam tearing the brand new cards from their shrink-wrap like some starved card-eating creature.

I thought I'd got a great start, bidding high for starting player and getting two bonuses straight away to cover the expenditure, but Andrew played a card that gave him points for one of my tracks and Sam quickly boxed me in and hoovered up resources left right and center for the four cube delivery bonus.
Sam dominates the south
Andrew's starting gambit of being nowhere near Sam and I meant he streaked into a mid-game lead while we slugged it out wacky-races style (Sam, you'll never know how close I came to overturning the table when you took that yellow for one point when it was worth four to me!)
Ya gotta speculate to accumulate...
As the board emptied of goods Sam leapt into the lead by investing heavily to complete long-distance routes. This time he didn't spend so freely as last time, but he still ended the game with seventeen bonds to Andrews six and my five, crippling his cash-generating capabilities. My monopoly of Guadalajara combined with a lucky break on a delivery bonus card meant I scored four or five points with all of my last six turns while Andrew just looked forlornly at the board wondering where all the cubes had gone.

I broke away at the end while Sam's bonds dragged him down to third place:

1st: Adam = 80
2nd: Andrew = 59
3rd: Sam = 57

And so we departed into the muggy evening, with Sam's plaintive cries of "Biblios? I've got to win something tonight." ringing in our ears...

6 comments:

  1. I must try "Railways" one of these days. You know, you guys should just say that Bibilios was played and roll a dice to see who came second. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Adam! I was just trying to think what you would do. In fairness.

    I love Railways. I think I'm right in saying I've finished last in every attempt, but I still think it's brilliant. It's a great game to always spend far too much money in.

    And I like Chris' idea for Biblios. Why don't we just mark it up on the Leaderboard as such?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as I'm aware there are no dissenters on Railways in Bristol Chris. And Paul would definitely like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can it be played as a two. I've got to get scalable games these days..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Officially yeah - although it's not listed as 'recommended' for 2 on the Geek. But someone's probably worked out a nice 2-player variant if you want to look through the (very many) contributions from users!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, railways is great, I feel like we're improving every game, so if we can play a few more without Joe around I might beat him...

    ReplyDelete