Thursday 15 August 2013

Two men don't play Cube Quest shocker!

So Paul and I are two thirds of the way through Trans Europa when we started trading our favourite game board based funnies. Possibly initiated by a lame gag that I tried, I regaled / reminded my politely smiling opponent of the time we were all playing Civilisation at my shared flat in Uxbridge. Sam searching around for the right combination of resource cards was heard to exclaim, "Aargh, I'm two fucking short!". Ha! Paul then retold his tale where I was about to leave Sam's for a long late night drive home. On announcing I was quite tired Sam offered "Well you could just crash". Perfect!

Anyway, last night's events didn't offer up any similar gems but it did see three games played out. I was feeling decidedly dodgy due to a persistent neck pain that sometimes makes me quite giddy and sick. Paul proposed that we stick to shorter games and so Roll Through The Ages got a second run out in a week. It was Paul's turn to cop all the pestilence in a reversal of real life events! I was a wash with lovely goods and even had 56 on the stone track. Never seen that before.
Chris 1st
Paul 2nd

Then it was Trans Europa in which I was playing hard ball to Paul's gentleman Jim. In each round I was somehow managing to pip him by one track. The game took a little longer than the advertised box time.
Chris 1st
Paul 2nd

Then we unhoused little Agricola. I had taken the set to my dads for the weekend in the faint hope that we might rekindle our playing of games together. It lasted up until I said "and this little board is your farm". Father is not one to be seen playing with little wooden sheep and cows.

In this closely fought episode though I managed to pip Paul to the post by accumulating more points for things than he did. There was to be no rejoicing in shared victories today.

Chris 1st
Paul 2nd

(At work don't have the scores)

4 comments:

  1. There was also that hilarious time when Andrew fell down a well! Ha. I can still hear his cries of "Put them all in the castillo!" echoing around the board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - actually in Bristol we've had the somewhat juvenile "Your purples are fine" and "Chocolate on the felt". The other thing that springs to mind is Sybil's 'Victorian Adventurer' harrumphing from under Joe's table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that "I'm two fucking short" bit, which is odd because I don't remember the game at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could we forget Paul's stomach supplying the lion noises for BBC documentaries? He gave us an arresting demonstration at Chris' house during Taj mahal, as I recall.

    ReplyDelete