Saturday 25 April 2015

Jack and Jack

No, not a gender-balanced version of the nursery rhyme Jack and Jill, rather it was the most common hand to be dealt in last night’s poker extravaganza: pocket Jacks came up about five times during the evening.

Anyway, since I boasted about my win at Poker last time, I think it’s only right that I should report my loss this time. We were six in total, after the usual spate of last-minute apologies: hosts Tom and Hannah, Joe, Mart, Simon and myself.

Simon was either new to Poker or a mean card shark, as he tried to deal from the bottom of the pack and then sped into an early lead, all the time insisting that he didn’t really know what was going on.

Furthermore, he introduced us all to a Chinese rice win called Baiju. We tried it with ice and found it largely undrinkable. While trying to pin down it’s distinctive flavour, I suggested tennis shoes while Tom thought it had more of an air of petro-chemicals. Either way, it was quite a struggle to drink and even Simon admitted defeat and poured the rest of the bottle down the sink.

To keep things short, though, Simon went out first followed by Joe. I was in a healthy position mid-game, having won big a couple of times with just Card High as my winning hand. My poker face was strong this night.

With four of us left, we fell into the old routine of folding if we had a middling-to-poor hand: something that only usually happens when there’s only a couple of players left. This rather stilted state of affairs continued until Hannah decided she wanted to go to bed. She began betting all-in, but kept winning. She went from a weak position to a very strong one, as Mart fell by the wayside and then I, too, followed (foolishly going all in on unsuited 3-4, hoping for some low cardson the flop. No such luck).

Once it was just husband versus wife, they decided to end the evening and split the £60 of winnings between them. Congrats to the hosts, and thanks for another tense evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment