Sunday 13 August 2017

You cannot be Syria's

Saturday night and the "Time of Crisis trio" of Ian, Joe and I were guests at Martin's place for an evening of Roman intrigue. The three of us were battle-hardened by two previous games, while Martin had only read the rules. Even so, I was not confident. This is Martin, after all.

The game began in a familiar manner, with Ian getting points for battles, Joe attracting hordes of barbarians and I bought an expensive govenor instead of getting a new card. I was also first to become Emperor, leaping in once it became weak enough. I stayed there for a while, too, which I wasn’t expecting.

My fledgling empire, with Rome in the distance

But then I chased after some Barbarians and got killed
so then Martin moved in, unchallenged

I was eventually bumped out by Martin who often said he didn’t know what he was doing. Joe battled fruitless battles against barbarians, then he and Martin swapped Pannonia and Macedonia, with Joe setting up his new capital in the latter province, slightly further away from the hordes of Franks.

Joe - a popular man

Ian’s early good start stalle mid-game after some terrible luck with the dice. In fact, we all drank from the cup of misfortune at some point, with a one being rolled when a two or higer would be enough. Using the “evil dice” (black dice with copper coloured spots) didn’t seem to help. Funny that.

A familiar sight

Ian’s situation was complex to say the least. His attempt at a Spain/France/England homeland was often under attack from Martin or Joe. Not me though. I couldn’t be bothered to lean that far across the table.

A complicated situation in France

In the final round, Joe scrambled around for any last points. He considered becoming Emperor again (needing seven votes, as I recall), but instead when for Britannia as a safe option (needing four). He then rolled double six, another double six, a six and a five and then a four. Seven votes. He would’ve been Emperor!

Then Martin’s last turn saw him with some difficult choices as invading barbarians meant he couldn’t kill them and become Emperor in one go. What was it to be? Glory in Rome or save the populace from invasion?

Then he realised his yellow card was enough to raise his popularity in the far-flung provinces allowing him to stand for election in Rome. Which he won.

Near the end of the game

Martin 73
Andrew 72
Joe 70ish
Ian 34

The game was our first four player 60-point game and it lasted three and a half hours. An epic, but it never dragged. There was always something to watch and, for me, the biggest challenge was to remember what plan you had in mind when you chose your cards.

For the record, Joe went for the big-hand tactic. He often said it was too late to start discarding cards as he bought yet another. Trouble was, he started saying that at around half nine, with another two hours of the game left to go!

Then we played a game with animals. Something to do with Noah’s Ark. Can’t remember who won, but Ian and I came joint last with 26 each. It was fun though. And a complete contrast to the epic we’d just ploughed through.


A great night. Thanks all.

5 comments:

  1. Animals On Board and Joe got 45 to my 35.

    Time of Crisis was great fun! As you say, never a dull moment and I'm already thinking of plans for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah me too - 3 blue, 2 yellow opening hand, using the 3 political points to trash a card!!
    Great game - taking Rome with 2 dice would have been astonishing, but it wouldn't have changed the final standings I don't think.
    Thanks Martin for hosting, snacks, beating us etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog title too Andrew - a quote from emperor McEnronius I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite not liking Time of Crisis I'm still slightly jealous!

    However I did get to play games every night this week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah sounds like you got a lot of plays in Sam. I took a tiny box of games to Venice, but we didn't play much.

      I introduced Matilda to Spice Road and we played twice, and we played a few games of insider one night, which everyone except Matilda enjoyed.

      Delete