Tuesday 31 October 2017

The Ethnos Committee

Halloween - the witching hour. As four hardy gamers made their way to Joe's house, we encountered all manner of ghostly ghouls and spooks en route. In fact, I bumped into my own children outside the co-op. What manner of frightful events awaited us at Joe's house? Dear reader, all shall be revealed...

We began as a four - the host, Martin, Katy and myself (Sam). With Andrew still away, and others otherwise occupied, we remained a four until Ian joined us an hour later.

Star Cartel

Martin arrived with two new games garnered from his birthday - Star Cartel and Auf Teufel Komm Raus, the catchily-titled game of coal collection. We began with the former - an unusual game of galactic trade. Each player has a ship, and they gather enough of five resources to fill it and trade the goods. The goods they supply most of gain value, the goods they supply least of lose value. Any in-between goods (and you really want to have goods in-between) you can stash some of, and at the game's end cash them in for whatever value they have currently in the market.

Crystals, flora

It's essentially an abstract - despite the sciencey vibe to the illustrations, it might as well be pork pies, socks, or - as we often referred to them - colours. But everyone seemed to enjoy the catch here - unavoidably the resources you're devaluing or increasing the value of aren't the ones you keep (in a given delivery, anyway) so you need to think tactically - and ideally keep track of what everyone else is doing. Martin proved the best in the cartel's inaugural outing:

Martin 71
Sam 66
Joe 58
Katy 54

Ian walked in just as the scores were totted up, and we broke out Ethnos, the game that is "Ticket to Ride with Orcs" according to Martin.

Ethnos

The ins and outs of this game were explained in a previous post, but we all seemed to settle into a pattern on our turn that was Ticket to Ride with Who's on First. I complained about the light. Joe complained about his cards. Martin said "This is nice!". Katy said "This is stupid" - or some variation thereof - and Ian stared gloomily at his cards until prompted that it was his turn again. Despite the previously-celebrated playing speed of Ethnos, it wasn't moving fast enough for Katy, who wanted it over, and seemingly Ian too, who announced his last place as early as halfway through the first age.

"I'm losing" he said. When Katy told him not to write himself off just yet, he retorted "No. I'm losing" as though his mind was made up, and no namby-pamby positive optimism was going to change that.  And to be fair, he was right.

Martin, meanwhile, shot off into the lead, but in the second age I caught and overhauled him, thanks to my abundance of halflings, or as Martin described them, "useless cocks". In the third age it all fell apart, for most of us points-wise, and for Katy in existentialist terms. Fortunately the third dragon came out quickly, and Martin's large bands sewed up a second win for him:

Martin 123
Sam  108
Joe 74
Ian 65 (wins on predictions)

Katy then apologised for her rage, but don't worry Katy. I still cringe when I remember my almost anaphylactic reaction to Age of Empires III, which for some reason just did my nut in.  That was about seven only five years ago.

We ended on Martin's second game, Auf Teufel Komm Raus, which is a luck-pushing thing of grabbing hot coal out of a cauldron and hoping not to end up with the devil.

Come on hell, get out

At the start of each round everyone bets how much coal can be gathered by a single player without them going bust - the coals are numbered, so you're betting on the total number value, rather than the total number of coals. Then everyone tries to pull some coal out without flipping over a devil, as if you do that, you're bust. You want enough coal to make sure your own bet pays off, but not enough to pay out to anyone who out-bid you.

coal

It's really quite fun. My downfall in these games is to play too conservatively, and I found myself outbid in every round. But on this occasion everyone was pushing so much to claim the win at the end that my pathetic shrinking violet act was enough to grab second place. Joe took first - and with some aplomb, as he led from halfway through the game and never got the yips:

Joe 1600
Sam 1490
Katy 1460
Ian 1390
Martin 1070

And with the time now hovering around 11pm, we bade our farewells and disappeared into the frosty, forsaken night. Thanks all! That was a proper roller-coaster of a night!

13 comments:

  1. Sorry if I was in a bit of fatalistic Eeyore mood for Ethnos; I actually really like that game but I was just a bit slow to keep up with how quick turns come round!

    Auf Teufel Komm Raus was much more suited to the mental gear I was stuck in, great game.

    Cheers folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the race of fatalistic Eeyores will be one of the ones we play with next time . . .
    I enjoyed all three games mightily - really would like to play Ethnos again and try to be a bit more in competition. Love the pace of it.
    And the Devils Cauldron was lovely; I fully wexpect to never win again.
    Star Cartel was good too, will happily play again but I feel like it might start to feel a bit samey after a few plays. Cute though, and dead simple.

    A lovely evening thanks all - three new games and all keepers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I really enjoyed everything too! Oddly, all three games can be played with up to 6 players, though I can't really see Star Cartel faring well with that many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should be fair to Joe, in Ethnos he wasn't complaining about his cards on every turn - blog license - but there's definitely a wide seam of luck in the game pertaining to what you pick up, and he wasn't being smiled on: often building a big hand only to discard most of it!

    Like Joe I feel Star Cartel might not stand up to lots of plays, but as Martin pointed out on the night, it gets more intriguing the longer it goes on. The last round reminded me of the last round in Cobras, where you can swing from last to first or vice versa, potentially.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re Ethnos I think you mean Ian don't you?

      Delete
    2. In the write up I said I complained about the light and you complained about your cards!

      Delete
    3. Ah yes. It's fair, I did. And I should have put the light on in the larder, that would have helped us at that end of the table - I'll try to remember next time . . .

      Delete
    4. No worries. I exaggerated everything to try and give a sense of the chaos that was 5-player Ethnos!

      Delete
    5. I think I also collected many large hands before I could play anything, which did not help with my enjoyment of the game! I don't think I should play again, but would play the others, especially the latter, making pacts with the devil really helped me as a catch-up mechanism, but didn't really seem to help either Martin or Ian. See you all next week I hope, when I'll try not to have a games-related tantrum! Thank you for being so understanding of my faults.

      Delete
    6. I did get a couple of lucky draws when I really needed one more of a set to do what I wanted, so perhaps that coloured my enjoyment a little.

      Delete
    7. It's definitely a game where you need a bit of luck. You could argue that in the event it doesn't balance out, the game is kind of flawed.

      Delete
    8. Nothing wrong with a bit of luck!

      Delete