Tuesday 12 December 2017

Best Games of 2017!

You know the rules. They don't have to be published this year, just New To You.

I just browsed through the last year and jotted down all the new games worthy of consideration for my own top ten. Ended up with quite a few...



Many of them I didn't want to leave out. But for brevity's sake, let's keep it to ten. I found myself adding extra criteria (different types of games) just to help me make a decision though! Starting with three who have to be here on account of getting played so many times it seems weird to leave them out.


1. NMBR9 - the vertical version of Take it Easy. Always guaranteed some swearing. I rarely play a game by myself, but I kept doing so with NMBR9 - I found it addictive. Easy to teach, quick to play, zero set-up. Lovely.


2. Flamme Rouge - a hit with almost everyone who played it. Always enjoy this game and love the way the play genuinely resembles a race: to break or not; if so, when? Pushing on will tire you out, and someone far ahead at the halfway stage is usually caught as they run out of puff...


3. Near and Far - this is the game I play a lot with Stanley. It's very simple to teach and the mechanics by themselves are a reasonably streamlined get-stuff-to-do-stuff. What elevates it into the ten is partly the story element: not as absurdly silly as Arabian Nights, but fun all the same. And partly - mainly - its presence here is down to the joy I've had with Stanley.

The Euro. Let's get it out of the way. I really enjoy Clans of Caledonia but for it's big, bizarrely abstract great behemothiness it has to be...

4. A Feast for Odin. When I first played it I thought Uwe had had some kind of episode, but I then I found myself wanting to play it more and more. Until I played Adam.

The co-ops. Not a massive player of co-ops, but I think I will be hanging onto...

5. Black Orchestra. Perhaps not as elegant a design as Pandemic, but Andrew and I have really enjoyed playing this. Like Lord of the Rings, it suffers from the actual moment of victory or defeat not quite having the fireworks that the rest of the game does, but I like it all the same.


6. Flipships. Just genius. We played it again last night. As with Lost Expedition and Insider, I'm grateful to Flipships being a game (little) Joe asks to play.

The (other) silly one.

7. Polterfass is one I'm always happy to play and just about bumps Auf Teufel Komm Rass.

The wordy one.

8. Montage just sneaks in ahead of Paperback and Movable Type, even though I am shambolic at it. All three are great.

The hidden identity one.

9. Chameleon. I love Insider too, but Chameleon avoids some of Insider's occasional lop-sidedness, where the Insider can win just by being quiet.

The new one.

10. The Quest for El Dorado. There had to be a new one! And it was this or Azul. Though I have also been enjoying losing at Stanley to Pulsar 2849 and been impressed with the beige-looking Council of Four.

Bubbling under:

Voodoo Prince, Jorvik, Eggs of Ostrich, Hit Z Road, Ethnos, Kingdomino, Downforce, Alchemists, maybe even... Time of Crisis?

19 comments:

  1. I got as far as a top 5:

    Time of Crisis
    Jump Drive - 100 plays!
    Hanamikoji
    Flamme Rouge
    Montage

    I go back and forth on the next five but for now let's say:

    Voodoo Prince
    Fox in the Forest
    Throne & the Grail
    Azul
    High Treason

    Half of these are 2p so haven't really been played at GNN.

    Really enjoyed Cobras, Spires, Hit Z Road, El Dorado, Flip Ships, Ethnos, Chameleon, Bemused and Wibbell too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aieeee I knew I'd forget some... Wibbell is up there for me, along with Cobras and Spires (all bubbling under)

      Delete
    2. Oh and Marrakesh - that makes a nice round 20!

      Delete
  2. I don't get to play many new games so this is my top 5...

    Dominant Species.
    Nmbr9
    Tobago
    7 Wonders duel
    Shogun

    I also liked Barenpark and Thebes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have at least mentioned Orleans too, which I really liked! Barenpark has been played a lot this end which nearly got it into my ten.

      Delete
  3. 1. Time of Crisis - my game of the year, without doubt.
    2. Crokinole
    3. Bridge
    4. Yokohama
    5. Great Western Trail
    6. Ponzi Scheme
    7. Jump Drive
    8. Hanamikoji
    9. Azul
    10. Montage

    Curious that none of my top 3 have featured at tuesday night . . .

    Notable mentions:
    Ethnos
    Bemused
    Polterfass
    Barenpark
    Moveable Type
    Wibbell
    Auf Teufel Komm Raus
    Marrakesch
    Kribbeln
    Kingdomino
    Downforce
    Cobras

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridge was new to you this year, Joe?

      Delete
    2. Not in the strictest sense, as I'd had one session a few years ago with these same guys. But we barely scratched the surface back then - I only bought books about it this year! :)

      Delete
    3. Wowser! I did not know that.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still find it amazing that having played with you all almost every week for the entire year I still haven't heard of half the games in your top tens, let alone having played them!

    My top ten contains many more lighter games, but there's at least one beast in there:

    Ponzi Scheme
    Yokohama
    Flipships
    Happy Salmon :D
    Hit Z Road
    Bemused
    Auf Teufel Komm Raus
    Perudo
    Rolling America
    Eldorado

    Also an honourable mention goes to Cobras and Polterfass...

    More of these and other games I've not yet played please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On looking back, I seem to have missed quite a lot of the new games. Not that that’s a bad thing. It’s always good to revisit old favourites. Apart from Settlers.

    This is my list of favourite ten games new to me this year (in no particular order, except perhaps the first)...

    Time of Crisis
    Eggs of Ostrich
    Wibbell++ (especially Phrasell)
    Insider
    Moveable Type
    Downforce
    Flamme Rouge
    NMBR9
    A Feast For Odin
    Polterfass

    Black Orchestra was in there until I realised I had eleven. Insider beats Chameleon just for being much less stressful if you’re the one pretending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to Martin's script which let me grab details from the Geek, and having filtered out those I have revisited a number of years after last playing them, I appear to have 88 games to choose from as favourite new game for the year.

    Some are expansions, so I guess that I should ignore those, which means no mention for Flamme Rouge or Viticulture since I played those in 2016, though I have enjoyed plays of the expansions this year. And Beasty Bar: New Beasts In Town goes the same way.

    If I went by games played, First Class would be top of my list, but after a quick flurry of games on Yucata I've played it once face-to-face and wasn't so impressed with it that way. Hmmmmmm...

    So, top ten new to me in 2017 games (not expansions) in some sort of order:

    Great Western Trail
    Terraforming Mars
    Yokohama
    Troyes
    Orléans
    Azul
    Kingdomino
    FUSE
    Potion Explosion
    Diamonds Club


    And eleven more bubbling under: First Class, NMBR9, Cobras, Discoveries, Imhotep, Merlin, Pioneers, Inhabit The Earth, Lancaster, London, 20th Century Limited


    Must make sure I get some more plays in of quite a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a lot of overlap between us :)

      Delete
    2. No, there isn't. :-) Some of that is down to timing, of course, and others down to only having played several games once this year.

      Delete
    3. Surely it's down to the fact that Martin would never countenance playing the first five!

      Terraforming Mars was really odd for me. When I played it I enjoyed it a lot, but I never hankered after playing it again. Whereas the lesser-rated Lancaster I still keep in the hope it'll get played again at some point.

      Delete
    4. There's that, too, of course!

      I own Terraforming Mars and have played it more than Great Western Trail, which I don't own, but would rather play the latter given the choice. Probably it's the sheer number of cards that can feel a little overwhelming - kills my interest in Agricola, for example.

      I'd really like to give Lancaster another try.

      And it seems like GNN should be playing more Yokohama...

      Delete
  8. Yep - it’s been played 3 times in the last 5 weeks. I’m keen to play more, and I think Katy is too...

    ReplyDelete