Wednesday 10 January 2018

Dice Boobs 

This week witnessed the first GNN of the year for a couple of regulars: Sam, the host, and Joe. However, any attempt at wishing Joe a Happy New Year were met with a dismissive insistence that it was far too late by now.

The rest of us trying to wish him happy tidings were Katy, Ian, Martin, Adam and myself. At the beginning we were also joined by Sam's boys, Stanley and Joe.

We began with Fuji Flush to get us under way. Sam began well, but then got stuck on three cards. Katy began slowly and then shed five cards in quick succession. Stanley played the move of the game, as four of us put down fours and were getting excited about our chances of beating two eights (if I remember this right) when he put down a seventeen and cleared the table.

Doomed

Adam, Katy and Martin were all sitting next to each other and were appalled whenever they had to team up together. It ended in tense fashion with more than half on just one card.

Little Joe 0
Adam 1
Andrew 1
Katy 1
Stanley 1
Martin 1
Joe 2
Sam 3

After this we split into two groups. Joe, Katy, Martin and I chose Majesty. Sam, Stanley, little Joe and Adam went for Blokus, the game of, well, blocking. I didn't pay it too much attention but when the final scores were announced, I was pleased that the two adults had not gone easy on their inexperienced opponents.


Sam 13
Adam 15
Joe 19
Stanley 26

Then it was bed for the boys and a quick two player game of Fugitive. This ended in a draw, as Sam explained "we're not sure who won because I don't have the board or the rules." which would explain the improvised card area.


Sam looked it up on the Internet, and concluded that Adam won. "Something to do with the 29."

Anyway, that was the exciting half of the table. The four of us playing Majesty had a fairly hollow experience. Katy complained throughout that it just wasn't her kind of game and the rest of us found it rather bland. The artwork was typical eurogame medieval subjects and the game mechanism of playing cards to get points was quite drab.


Joe 181
Andrew 177
Katy 159
Martin 143

Back as a single group again, it was time to split up again. Ian had bought the Tichu set he'd received in the Secret Santa, so he and Martin faced Joe and Katy. It started in fine fashion, with two Grand Tichus called and completed in the first two rounds.

Sam, Adam and myself played Rajas of the Ganges. We persuaded Adam by telling him that it was exactly the kind of game that he would be good at. In fact, I was preparing myself for a heavy defeat before we even began.


Near the start of the game, when Sam didn't take a particular option that got him a lot of money, Adam asked if there was a reason he hadn't done that. "Just stupidity," shrugged Sam when he saw what he'd missed.

Adam had clearly decided that money was the way to go, since it had all those bonuses along it. He generated dice so efficiently that he had to use his player mat's “dice boobs” to hold them all.


He also made good use of the Score Mixed Markets option. Then, once the money track had paid out its last bonus, he turned his attention to glory points and quickly finished the game. Sam matched Adam for glory, but not for cash. I was a long way back, having not even picked up my second extra meeple.

Adam's considerable lead on the money track.

1. Adam
2. Sam
3. Andrew

The Tichu group played out one last hand when we had ended. Not the full one-thousand pointer, but enough to give Ian a taste, I imagine.


Joe & Katy 600
Ian & Martin 500

Next up was another reshuffling of the groups. Katy, Martin and I played Azul. You'd have thought, after playing against Adam at a eurogame, I'd have learnt my lesson, but I must've been in a masochistic mood this night. Sam, Joe, Ian and Adam chose Poison.

During these two games, and I can't remember why, we all tried to work out our defining traits. We ended up with Martin – evil, Katy – annoying, Andrew – snide, Joe – avuncular, Ian – self-depreciating, Adam – calculating and Sam – mistaken. Joe, though, did not like his nominated trait. He pointed out that the definition was “kind and friendly towards a younger or less experienced person” which he found somewhat inappropriate. Katy pointed out that he was the oldest one here but, like the New Year's greetings at the start of the evening, Joe simply refused to accept his new defining trait.

All of this shouldn't detract from the gaming activities. In Azul, I was disconcerted by Martin's constant glances over to my board. He played a spoiling game, such that I scored only six points in my first round, but I was too distracted to do the same to Katy. She had no issues with putting together her mosaic and spent most of the game complimenting her own work, like a bird happily chirping in its nice new nest.

Only when she felt victory was assured did she look up and try to ruin Martin's game. He had to pick up negative-scoring tiles at the end of the game, which pushed me into an unlikely second.

Katy 75
Andrew 57
Martin 51

Poison ended:

Sam 4 (with two clear rounds, I believe)
Adam 17
Ian 17
Joe 29

Now it was the end of the evening and we were all together. Dead Man's Chest was suggested and pooh-poohed. Instead we decided on a subdued game of Hugo. This game is usually so loud, it's been banned twice, so we kept out cries of anguish to a minimum. It was especially hard for Katy who got so excited she had to insist she wasn't drunk on the gin she'd bought with her. Unfortunately it came out as “I haven't had any more Jill,” so no one believed her.

We played three rounds. In the first round, Sam was the last-man standing but a comfortable distance ahead. Hugo then sped around two corners and finished him off before he could move. In the second, it was the opposite. Joe was left alive in a precarious position but Hugo wouldn't budge. The dice went right around the table without a Hugo in sight. Then Joe rolled a 1 and managed to sneak into a +3 room.

It was a rare piece of luck for him.


Martin 25
Sam 26
Ian 30
Katy 32
Adam 35
Andrew 37
Joe 41

And with that, we were done. Another quality evening's entertainment done and dusted.

11 comments:

  1. Majesty: For the Realm to give it its full (and banal) title feels like something that's been churned out by a neural network fed with a library of Eurogames. Bland is definitely the word.

    Lovely to play some Tichu and hope we'll make a regular event of it as it really benefits from experience.

    Azul's an interesting one - it seems to work well when everyone's playing 'friendly' or when everyone's being a dick but maybe slightly less well with a mixture of both.

    Midnight Party was a great finish (and a true test of skill obviously).



    ReplyDelete
  2. As I made clear I really didn't like Mystery, apologies for my negativity (but it is rubbish, especially compared to the high quality I'm used to from you fine folk). Tichu was good, but I still have lots of learning to do. I was very surprised to win Azul and think it was only because Martin was concentrating on Andrew as his opponent, whereas I was just trying to score points for myself and make a lovely wall! I admit being smug after this win, but I do think it will be the only time I beat Martin at Azul. More soon please x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those perfect batches of 4 tiles that fell into your lap probably helped too :) By the way, do you remember what it was that you kept asking me if I'd noticed in the last round?

      Delete
    2. And you stitched me up nicely with those black tiles in the last round!

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, it was that no matter what you or Andrew did there were enough single red tiles for me to complete my last row and therefore my second column too... With the black tiles, they could quite have easily all come round to me, although I admit I did ensure that you more when I realised you would be picking them up :D I look forward to a rematch where you be smug as you like; not sure anyone else will want to witness that game though!

      Delete
  3. I love the drama that Midnight Party conjures out of such simplicity - and I love Tichu. Let’s play again soon please!

    Ah Poison, it’s been too long - clearly. It does run a little long though, eh?

    I think Majesty’s all right, poor little defenceless thing. Thanks all, and Sam for hosting and Andrew for blogging up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I thought it was ok when I played it. Better than Splendor, anyway.

      Delete
    2. To be fair, I've had episodes of norovirus better than Splendor.

      Delete
  4. I think Ian was self-deprecating, rather than self-depreciating. He never loses value (although he'd probably say he does).

    I enjoyed All The Games, especially Rajas even though like Andrew I knew we were in for a tough game against Adam. I think he needs to stop saying "I don't know what to do" though, as he clearly did.

    Great to play Hugo again. Hugo-oh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Adam means he doesn't know what to do in order to ensure he gains as much as he possibly can and his opponents gain as little as they possibly can (love you Adam)!

    ReplyDelete