Friday 2 February 2018

From Mr Kepler to Mr Biblios

Andrew had been tempted enough by Kepler 3042 to wander over this evening and try it out. As explained in the previous post, it's a non-combative space exploration game where you're managing three resources - matter, anti-matter and energy - to facilitate the spread of your culture around the galaxy. The catch is no matter how widely spread you get, your resources are on rotation, and spending them on the juicy 'secondary' actions (cheaper than the main actions) removes them from the game.

space!

I went through the rules and by 8.15 we were settled in for the long haul. But by 9.15 we were done! There are 16 rounds, but you only take a maximum of two actions in every round - usually one - and by the time we were sailing across the firmament. terraforming and whatnot, the final rounds were closing in.

tech!

We'd played it with the kind of lassez faire I imagine one doesn't see too often at NASA, and it showed in our frankly dreadful scores:

Sam 17
Andrew 15

Which was abut half the points I managed playing with Dirk when I was feverish and hallucinatory. It's not a game where you're pull off any dazzling moves, however. The grinding of gears reminded me of distant times playing Year of the Dragon - Kepler isn't as fire-fighty as that, but you certainly get the sense of progress moving in tiny increments.

And the kindest conclusion is that the jury is still out. It did give the space flavour in a digestible bite-sized chunk, and has a clever mechanic at its heart. But it lacked the combative spice of Quantum, Ascending Empires or Eclipse. And it didn't even have the vaguely-anguished, occasionally funny luck-pushing of Cosmic Run.

We packed it away pleased the hour was early enough to play Rajas of the Ganges, mine and Andrew's current favourite - or one of them. Last time Andrew blitzed me and I was out for vengeance, inasmuch as one can seek vengeance via the medium of worker-placement.

Rajas!

He began strongly but realised a few rounds in he'd build no markets in his province. Conversely I was picking up 8 coins every round, and despite some late game jiggery-pokery, overhauled him on the fame track to claim the win!

Sam is best Raja.
Andrew is second-best Raja.

We blasted through two quick games to finish - firstly Avenue, which I won by 55 points to 14. Andrew, perversely, was keen his score be the worst ever, but checking through the completed scores we saw that I'd actually managed zero before. Sorry!

Then we played Biblios! And I ate shit no less than four times, once via my very own spoon.

shit!

I usually begin Biblios confident that I'm in with a shout at least, but halfway through the game I could feel it slipping away from me. I only had one die in the bag and Andrew had stopped even bidding on anything. It was a whitewash!

Andrew 14
Sam 5

burnt

And Mr Endersby walked away as Mr Biblios. A very enjoyable evening, despite the inscrutability of Kepler!


2 comments:

  1. Kepler 3042 was interesting, if perhaps falling short of fascinating. It's hard to say if you like a game when you're so obviously bad at it. Maybe space is just too big for only two players.

    Ganges was great, even if I was behind for most of it, notwithstanding a brief false dawn mid-game, and I am sure there are routes to victory as yet unexplored.

    Not sure what happened with Avenue. I kept going for big points but then scored nothing at all in the last two rounds.

    Biblios was different. I focused on three colours and got lucky picking up a fourth. By the middle of the auction phase, I felt I had the best hand I was likely to get, so I just kept passing.

    Then I left with Sam already on the computer, typing away. He'd finished the blog by the time I was just passing Redland Station. Maybe this was a new record?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was composing it all as I played!

    ReplyDelete